Keeping Your Home Safe During the Winter Months
Whether you’re a recent homebuyer, new to the Mid-Western winter months, or just want to cover your bases heading into the holiday season: It’s important that you make sure your property is well taken care of. Putting together a thorough checklist ensures your home will be well-prepared for the inevitable sub-zero temperatures. This short read will put your mind at ease, protect your home, and hopefully keep your money where it needs to be…in your wallet!
- Making sure your doors, windows, and any other outside passage for air are correctly sealed ensures your furnace doesn’t work overtime heating the air coming from outside. When it comes to your electricity bill, sharing is NOT caring!
- Add extensions to all of your downspouts. This will prevent water pooling around your foundation. Water will expand when frozen, and this will lead to damaging your foundation and further expense.
- Drain water out of sprinklers, hoses, faucets, and any exterior water source. Like we already mentioned, frozen water will expand and will cause major damage.
- If you will be using your fireplace, make sure you have a chimney sweep inspect your chimney. Also make sure to dispose of any fire hazards that could turn your small fireplace into a big bonfire! Make sure your fire extinguishers are up to date, and inspect them to make sure they are functioning properly.
- Make sure your insulation is well maintained and any possible leaking of air is plugged and dealt with. Keep your warm air in and the cold air out!
- Because heat rises, reverse your ceiling fans. This will push the warm air in your house down instead of pulling it up.
Following these tips to ensure a safe home during the upcoming winter months will have you enjoying your holiday season like you should be. Give your home the best present it could ever ask for, protection. Happy Holidays from your friends at SERVPRO.
Restoring Your Southern Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at Southern Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Southern Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county
SERVPRO specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (217) 355-0077
South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service.
SERVPRO of South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (217) 355-0077
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie county
SERVPRO specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
When Storms or Floods hit Southern Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie counties, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Southern Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie counties.
SERVPRO specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Southern Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Moultrie counties, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today at (217) 355-0077
Faster to your Southern Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Mountrie county Water Damage Event
SERVPRO provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Southern Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, and Mountrie counies.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (217) 443-0077 or (217) 355-0077
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
SERVPRO specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property
For Immediate Service in South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, & Moultrie counties, Call SERVPRO
SERVPRO of South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, & Moultrie County provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in your town. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – (217) 355-0077
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services: Commercial restoration and cleaning
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, & Moultrie counties is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, & Moultrie counties
SERVPRO of South Champaign, Clark, Douglas, Edgar, & Moultrie counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Tuscola Outlet Mall water main break
SERVPRO on the scene to get the Tuscola Outlet Mall back up and running "like it never even happened"
TUSCOLA, Ill. (WCIA) -- At least five outlet stores are cleaning up after a water main break left them flooded. It happened about 6 pm, Friday, at the Outlets at Tuscola. Store owners on the strip say it looked like the flood started at Bon Worth and made its way into the stores nearby.
The damage varies, but at least three of the stores which flooded; Nike, Bon Worth and Harry and David, were closed Saturday.
"Water was just leaking out of the stores. It was just like a little river coming through, and a water main had busted, and it shut down I think five stores for the day including us."
Dressbarn was open Saturday. A few stores down from the source of the break, employees said their damage was minimal. The Sports Den was open, too, but the flood hit the store harder.
The water was gone Saturday, but managers said it was about an inch deep the night before. Crews started cleaning up stores Friday and were still working Saturday afternoon. Outlet employees said they think things should be fixed quickly.
Product was damaged at some stores, but employees said most of the damage was to the building, and it'll take them a few weeks to see the full extent.
Outlet management confirmed the break but didn't have any further comment.